Monday, September 16, 2019

Whidbey Island, WA (Monday, September 9th, 2019)

Our daughter had to leave on a work trip to Manhattan, which left us on a day with our son (in-law) all to ourselves!!!  After bantering back and forth a bit, we decided to go to Whidbey Island for the day.  



To get to the island from the south, you have to take a ferry.  It was the first time on an auto ferry for all of us.  It was super easy, pay your toll ($23 for a car and 3 people) and then wait in line until they load you on the ferry.




We knew that we wanted to drive north on the island, exploring as we went, so we didn't really make a plan.  Our first stop was Sunlight Beach, a quiet little neighborhood beach on the southern part of the island.  We parked in what looked like a public access area, and then asked the neighbors if it was OK.  They were so nice and told us to stay as long as we wanted.  She had the most beautiful dahlia garden that she was tending to, and they both seemed to really enjoy their time there.


The shore in this are was covered in drift wood, and believe it or not...sand dollars!  This part of the island is a very laid back, sleepy little town.








Our next stop was Coupeville, a little bit larger town with a really quaint seaside town feel.








This sign was posted on the side of the building.  I thought it was a great picture of where Whidbey Island is.






As we explored the dock, a harbor seal came up to see us, and then quietly swam away again.


Coupeville is just a cute, quaint little town.  We loved the feel of its quietness.



We stopped in several other small towns and beaches as we made our way across the island.  I've come to realize that when we are with the kids, I just cherish every moment of it.  I often forget to take pictures and capture the moments because I am just too busy enjoying them!  I think I can forgive myself for this. 

As we left Whidbey Island and made our way onto Fidalgo Island, we went through Deception Pass with it's beautiful overlook.



We made a quick stop in Anacortes, which is a very industrial town, but we took a few minutes to enjoy the marina area, which is quite relaxing and beautiful.



We got a kick out of this one.  It says it's from Quartzite, AZ, which is near where we live.  They certainly didn't sail it from there!



This little guy came up to say "hi" as we were enjoying all the boats.




The beautiful fall colors are starting to show.


Whidbey Island is such a beautiful and serene place.  I think it is a place that I could fall in love with, but I also think I would eventually get island fever.  It's pretty small.  A day on this island made my heart soar!  A day with my boys...Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment