Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Trash to Treasures (Tuesday, February 20th, 2018)

The cold weather has called me indoors, and provided me with an opportunity to get a few projects done that I have been putting on hold.  

Last summer we set up an outdoor over that we have really enjoyed using, but it was bothering me that it just sits out and collects dust when we aren't using it.  So I decided to take some old vinyl that Steve had laying around and make a cover for it.  It didn't need to be anything crazy, just a good dust cover.

This is the outdoor oven.

And here is it's new cover.  The back flap has velcro for easy on and off.

When I finished the oven cover, I decided to make a bag for our portable propane fire pit.  It has light weight rocks in it that tend to flake off and make a huge mess, and we like to take it with us in our motorhome, so a bag seemed like a necessity.  

The fire pit has all kinds of things sticking out from it, so the bag needed to have extra room to accommodate the propane line, starting unit, etc.


I used more of the old vinyl to craft a bag.  Steve wanted some heavy duty carrying handles on the bag, so I used an old boat strap that was no longer strong enough to hold the boat on the trailer, but is certainly strong enough to carry a fire pit.  I even had some velcro on hand from other projects that I used to make the carrying handle.

The straps criss-cross on the bottom of the bag for extra strength.

The top has a two way zipper.  I actually bought the zipper for this project.  I used zipper by the yard, so that I could put two opposing pulls on it.  I made my own zipper (a great learning opportunity), so that it is easy to get the fire pit in and out of the bag.

As much as I have been enjoying our great weather, it was really fun to spend some time indoors and get some projects done.  We still have a lot more projects that we need to tackle, but at least we made some progress.  We'll see how long this cold snap lasts, and how much we can get accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment