Saturday, October 14, 2017

Table Cover (Wednesday, September 20th, 2017)

We have had a huge summer of boating, golfing and RZR riding in the Hualapai Mountains, but now the weather is starting to cool off, which means time to get some more projects done.  

My sewing machine is in the garage because we don't have room for it in the house, so sewing during the summer is out of the question.  But now that temperatures are below 100 (at least most days) I have pulled it out again.  This time I am going to make a cover for an outdoor dining set we have.  This should be fun! 

I bought five yards of off brand Sunbrella fabric for just over $25.  It's much cheaper than the real Sunbrella, so that was nice, but we'll have to see how it holds up to the hot Arizona sun.  And as you can see, a ping pong table makes a great table for large sewing projects.



It was kind of an unwieldy project once it got under way.  I really didn't know what I was doing.  I was just kind of planning it as I went.


My machine had no problem sewing through multiple layers of the outdoor fabric.


I decided to add zippers to two of the sides to make it easier to get on and off.


It will go on this outdoor dining set, which seats six comfortably, or 10 with four people on ottomans instead of chairs.



And then it all folds up under the table to form a big cube.












It's a great dining set for a small space, or for an area where you need to be able to protect it a little bit. 

When I finished my cover, I tried it on the table.  It fit perfectly!  In the next picture I have the zipper open with one side flipped up.




And now it's all zipped down and in place.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out.  It will protect our table and chairs from the brutal Arizona sun, and adds some color to our patio.


When we want to use the table, we can either take it off and enjoy the whole table, or for just Steve and I, we can just flip a side back and pull out a couple of chairs without having to remove the whole cover.  My little lizard holds it on in case of high wind.


This was a really fun project and gave me a chance to try my sewing machine on a heavier fabric.  It worked like a charm.  I am really impressed with what it will sew through!

No comments:

Post a Comment