Sunday, October 4, 2015

Where Are You Mister Moon? (Sunday, September 27th, 2015)

We planned our evening around the full lunar eclipse that would be happening tonight. Since we are in Arizona, it would start very early, so we ate an early dinner to ensure we were ready for it. We headed out into the back yard at about 6:30 to make sure we could find the moon. We knew that it should be southeast of us, but to our surprise, it wasn’t there, so we jumped in the truck and went looking for it. 

Since Lake Havasu City is built on a hill, we figured that there were houses blocking our view of the moon. We finally found a wash that ran toward the southeast, and as we pulled into it, we could see the moon just coming up on the horizon. It was still bright, but already partially eclipsed. 

The moon finally coming up, already partially eclipsed

The clouds came in and gave the partially eclipsed moon a pretty cool look


Almost at full eclipse

All I had was my little point and shoot camera, so I figured I would do the best I could to get some pictures of this rare phenomenon. I didn’t even have a tripod, so we had to improvise quite heavily. 

My cute husband took a picture of me, taking a picture of the moon.  Love Him!

But we did get to see the beautiful lunar eclipse, and we did get a few pictures for you. My dad got the best picture by far, from Colorado, so with his permission I will include it in my post as well. 

My dad's gorgeous lunar eclipse picture from Colorado

My lunar eclipse picture from Arizona

It's getting brighter again

And much brighter, with clouds adding another interesting effect

We're almost back to a full moon
Thank you to my husband for his patience as we watch the entire eclipse.  He is a very patient man as it took approximately three hours for the entire event!

No comments:

Post a Comment